The decision to remodel part of your home is always a big one. You have to plan out the process, set a budget, hire the right contractor, and prepare for the unexpected. It takes a lot of time and can be extremely stressful. If you know that you want to remodel both your kitchen and bathroom, deciding which one to do first can be a challenge. Not only are both projects major renovations, but they’re also vital spaces to your home.
There can be several reasons why you would choose to remodel one room over the other first. Having helped hundreds of Minneapolis families successfully remodel their kitchens and bathroom, we know a thing or two about how to do these projects right. Here’s what we recommend when it comes to deciding where to start your remodeling journey.
What to Remodel – Kitchen or Bathroom?
Your bathroom and kitchen are two entirely different rooms, so you may want to evaluate what your needs are for your home before deciding to jump into the remodel of one or the other. Is your bathroom safe? Does your kitchen have working parts? In some cases, it is very clear which room you should go for. If you are struggling to decide what room go with first, we’ve come up with a couple of scenarios that might help you decide.
- You’re a new homeowner. If you have recently purchased your house and you’re trying to decide which project to tackle first, go with the kitchen. The kitchen is more than likely going to be the bigger renovation, so getting it out of the way can be a huge relief. Plus, you’ll want to have friends and family over in your new home to entertain and what better way to do that than with a beautiful, new kitchen?
- If the kitchen is deteriorating. This might be a no-brainer, but if your kitchen seems to be falling apart, it will most likely be the first project you take on. You don’t want to have plumbing issues, cabinets that are falling apart, or electrical problems. Having a safe, functional kitchen is essential for your home.
- You want to sell soon. If you are starting to look at selling your home and moving on, remodeling your kitchen may benefit you. The kitchen is the heart of the home, and often a huge focal point. Having a modern, updated space for your family to gather, cook, and enjoy time together can be a huge selling point for potential buyers. Plus, it can add value to your home.
- You’ve got a new baby on the way. If you can hold off on remodeling your kitchen first, the bathroom is the way to go here. New babies bring on added expenses and stresses, so starting off small can really help. Having an updated, safe bathtub and plenty of storage will be beneficial when the baby comes.
- Your bathroom isn’t functional. Every home needs a bathroom that is functional and practical. Maybe you hardly have any storage or your shower leaks. It might be time to give your bathroom a modern makeover with water conserving fixtures and a vanity that has plenty of storage.
- You only have one bathroom. If your house only has one bathroom, it may be best to start here. Bathrooms tend to be small, and even with just two people, it can seem crowded. Remodeling your bathroom to accommodate multiple people will make things less stressful, especially when you have overnight guests. If you have the space, try opening up the bathroom and maybe add a double vanity.
Remodel Your Bathroom or Kitchen with Honey-Doers
If you are ready to take on a big remodeling project, Honey-Doers can help! The most important thing you can do is to find the right contractor who can provide all the support you need. We’re proud to say that we’ve been helping Minneapolis families with their remodeling needs for over 20 years. With the knowledge, tools, and resources to achieve your dream bathroom or kitchen, we will get it done right the first time. Contact us today for a free estimate to get started.